Saturday 1 June 2013

I've got a dream...

One of my favorite Disney movies is Tangled - Rapunzel is locked up in a tower (with her magic healing hair) until one day a crim on the run tries to hide in her tower and they run away together to find out who she really is.

They end up at a pub with all sorts of crazy people, and break out into song (as can only happen in the wonderful world of Disney). The song is called 'I've got a dream' and everyone sings a few lines of what they think is impossible,  yet they want to try anyway. One guy wants to be a concert pianist, yet he has no hands, only hooks. One guy is butt ugly and wants to find love. And Rapunzel wants to find out why there are lanterns in the sky on her birthday every year.

I always get the song stuck in my head, and this morning,  it got me thinking. Two years ago, I had a dream. My boyfriend (who was a loser, but I never saw it as I settled for whoever would have me) had just broken up with me. I was in a bit of money trouble (never had any, stretching myself to the limit with property investment and living well beyond my means), and I was unhappy. Food was comfort, binges were a nightly occurrence. I had a dream... to be happy, in a healthy relationship, have a healthy relationship with food, have a healthy relationship with my body.

I never thought it would actually happen, yet I sit here today, gloriously in love, a little lighter, a little sore (damn you DOMS), a little hungry. My money troubles are gone, with a lot of hard work and planning. I'm not planning my binge for the day, I'm planning my attack on the house work. I have a beautiful relationship, with a wonderful man who loves me that much he just asked me to spend the rest of my life with him. I have improved my relationship with food, although we're still in counseling. Sometimes it escalates to mediation, and sometimes it ends in tears of frustration. I'm learning to accept my body, and marveling at the changes that are taking place. I love myself, for the first time in a long time.

I have to change my dream now, because it is no longer impossible to have what I want. I'm proof that small changes, repeated day after day, yield results.

Rapunzel found out the she is actually a princess, and her magic healing hair was just an extension of her beautiful soul. The guy with the hooks played piano at her wedding to the crim who really was a nice guy. The ugly guy found an ugly girl and they lived happily ever after.

And I'm happy.

1 comment:

  1. Aww I love that song, always makes me happy... chin up and keep on kicking!

    ReplyDelete