Thursday 21 February 2013

Ch-ch-changes!

So one of the changes I have made on this 'journey' is the bedtime routine. I used to have my laptop in my bedroom, my phone on me at all times, and either the TV or the radio on (on a sleep timer!) while I was falling asleep. This meant that once I went to bed, it often took 2 or 3 hours before I turned out the light, and another hour or so before I actually closed my eyes. One of the problems with doing this is that I never really switched off, and often took hours to fall asleep. I didn't sleep well, and I didn't get anywhere near enough quality sleep. I also used to eat. A lot. In bed.

When I moved in with Dave (May 2012), I made a decision to change this. We have a TV in our bedroom, but we don't use it. Our bedroom is for sleeping (and other bedroom activities... *wink wink). Phones are turned to silent and not used. They're only in the room because that's our alarm to wake up. We read. Books. The laptop stays in the lounge room. We don't eat or drink in bed, except for a glass of water we keep beside the bed.

I've noticed over the last few months that this is a great thing. I sleep much more soundly. I fall asleep much easier. I wake up more refreshed.

Now I just need to work on the actual TIME I go to bed. I always say 10pm is the magic time - I usually get up at 6am, so that's the recommended 8 hours. This probably only happens about 3 nights a week, and I need to increase that. Time to set an alarm at 9:30pm to start getting ready for bed!! And as I write this, it's 10:20pm. Bugger.

No comments:

Post a Comment