Sunday 10 February 2013

Twas the night before Kick-Off and all through the house..

.. were the smells of baking!

Haha... well I guess I can say that I haven't done the preseason task of throwing out all the crap in the house yet. Tomorrow is the first day of Round 1, 2013. It is also the day of the Coastrek Fundraising Bake-Off. The girls on the walking team and I are baking our butts off today to sell the fruits of our labour tomorrow afternoon at work. I've made two sets of muffins (Triple Choc and Cinnamon Crumble) and a batch of Honey Joys. Dave has just pulled a Lemon Meringue Pie out of the oven. Putting the Honey Joys in the container to cart to work, one didn't fit so I ate it. It was delicious! And eye opening. Usually, if I'd made a double batch (like I did today!) I would have eaten at least 4, possibly 12, before they got anywhere. Not tonight! I bloody enjoyed that Honey Joy, but only because I adjusted my dinner so that I could fit it in.

We had burgers tonight, and I had mine without the bun, with a sh*tload of salad. One patty only. And I made up a salad in a container for tomorrow's lunch, with the extra patty (that I would have scarfed in 'the olden days') so that I wasn't tempted to go back for seconds. My how times have changed.

I spent today doing my preseason tasks for Round 1. I know it's a little late, being the night before Kick-Off, but I really needed to think about my goals for the coming 12 weeks, 6 months, 12 months, before I committed it to paper. Last round, and the one I did this time last year, I was all gung-ho about losing a certain number of kilos, running ridiculous distances, and pretending I would change my habits. Given my track record, I know I'm going to fall away a bit during the next 12 weeks. I know it's going to get hard, my life is going to get busy, I'm going to be tired. But I also know that I really do want to change my life for the better, and that the small changes I have been making are making a difference.

My time trial was almost two minutes slower than my time trial from Round 4 2012. And I actually was impressed with myself! I've not run at all in the last 8 weeks - my training for the 50km walk means that I have been focusing on walking, and racking up big distances in the walk department. Running is completely different - breathing, stride, pacing yourself - so much to think about! So I wasn't expecting much in the time trial, but I was determined to run the whole time, not stop to walk. I also did it without music for the first time ever. I usually run to the beat, but I got a new phone and haven't had a chance to upload any music on it yet. I kind of liked just listening to the sound of my own breathing. It was ragged, but not laboured. The only body part that hurt was my calves. I guess that's one of the differences between walking and running that I hadn't noticed before - running is all on the toes so it makes sense that my calves wouldn't be conditioned.

Round 4 2012 was better than Round 1 2012 in that I stuck to the workouts for much longer (up to Week 6, rather than 2 or 3 days!), but I've decided to go Intermediate this Round. My fitness test results do not place me in the Intermediate category (pushups and sit & reach were, all other aspects are beginner) but I did not feel challenged by the Beginner workouts and began to seek other ways of achieving the calorie burns for cardio which then made me less inclined to head to the gym which then made me skip the toning days and eventually led to me falling completely off the wagon in regard to exercise. I have stepped up a bit with the walking training (we're doing minimum 15km now at least twice a week for the next 3 weeks) but the strength is non-existent. I've decided that this Round I'll do all prescribed workouts in the afternoon after work, except on a Monday (I have Calisthenics from 430 until 10pm, and have to work from 7-3 to make sure I get my hours in and travel to the other side of town for 430) where I'll just accept the calorie burn from cali as my cardio - lucky Monday is a cardio day!

My HRM is sh*t - I don't know what's wrong with it, but it's reading all over the place and is more of a bother than I care to deal with, so I'm going by my fitbit calorie adjustment for my burns. It's not going to be accurate on my Toning days, but I figure as long as I keep my calories in check on the eating side, it shouldn't matter too much. After all, it's meant to be 80% diet and 20% exercise!

And... the end of the Round is a week before my 30th birthday!! Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment