Thursday 15 November 2012

Today is the day!

Well, sort of. The first week was released on the 12WBT website to give us enough time time shop, plan, organise and diarise for the week ahead. You know what I did? I started early.

You heard me. I started already.

I got on my smartphone at the gym, hit the start button on my HRM (heart rate monitor for those of you that don't know), and followed the 'Beginner Toning' program for next Thursday. It's Thursday today, so why not? I remember reading that we need to burn 500 calories each day, so after the session (about 45 minutes of strength-ish circuit-y training) I checked my HRM and was pretty shattered to see only 245 calories burned. I know Toning Days are going to be nowhere near as burn-y as Cardio Days, but you know what? Just Fucking Do It. That's my new motto (stolen from Mish, of course!). Got on the Cross Trainer, cranked it up to Level 5 and pounded away to Justin Bieber and whatever else was on the US Top 30 on the screen. 30 minutes later, I checked Harry (my HRM) and was stoked to see 490 calories GONE. Finished up the session with a stretch, and walked out of the gym with a nice 524 calories burned.

I also had a date with Albert (Park Lake) this morning. A brisk walk around the 5km lake gave me another 350ish calories this morning.

And you know what the worst thing is? I broke even today. I found some evil treats in the boot this morning when I was getting my shower gear at work - and managed to mindlessly eat the whole bag of evil during my work day. I logged it, and now I've burned it. So I'm even today. God, imagine where I'd be if I hadn't succumbed to the evil. It's gone now, and I won't be buying it again. Too delicious and not very nutritious. Not nutritious at all actually. And so much sweat went into working it off too. Such a shame.

I'm excited to get going and have planned a SSS (Super Saturday Session) with my Mum - we'll either do the 1000 stairs in Upper Gully or walk around Lilydale Lake. I have to head over that way to teach on Saturday afternoon, and with Dave working all day it's a good excuse to get out and get moving.

I'm also using the rest of tonight to plan out my menu for next week. I'm a very fussy eater when it comes to healthy food, so I'm going to plan ahead, make a list, and shop accordingly on Sunday. I'm also going to make up a few meals to freeze for lazy days, and some bigger heartier stuff for Dave's lunches. He's cool with me making some changes but doesn't want to be missing out on a big feed each day, and with his physical job he needs the extra calories (not much extra, but he'll not notice the difference if I make some tweaks to the usual lunch!) I've had a look at some of the recipes for the coming week and am stoked that there's more than a few things I want to try so they'll definitely be going on the list!

So I'm hoping my new friends Albert (Park Lake), Harry (HRM), and Freddie (the fitbit) will help me on my way...

Oh, and today we had to 'Measure Up' to get our benchmark measurements. Here are mine!

Weight 112kg
Chest 111cm
Waist 121cm
Widest Point (of hips) 130cm
Right Thigh 79cm (when measured 35cm from edge of kneecap)
Left Thigh 79cm (when measured 35cm from edge of kneecap)
Right Arm 37cm
Left Arm 36cm

Slightly embarrassing, but it'll get better!

2 comments:

  1. Well done for starting your workouts early, that's so inspiring.

    My partner will also need extra food and I don't know if the "calorie boosts" will cut it. He will need a bit extra on top of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your posts. Great to hear you and your mum smashed the stairs. I wish I could convince my mum to do something like that. Awesome work putting up your measurements. Mine are very similar. Did you take a before pic? I did, but not willing to put it up for anyone else to see just yet. Maybe one day when I don't look like this anymore. How are you feeling about kick-off?
    It all starts tomorrow. We can do this!

    ReplyDelete