Sunday 27 October 2013

Then life throws you a curveball.

This week was going to be the biggest week of my life. And then MORE shit happened.

First of all, this past Thursday was my last ever competitive performance of calisthenics. After 25 years, I am retired. The competition was in Ballarat - a trip my mum and I make each year, staying in a shitty hotel, eating shitty food (always the same things, it's tradition!). This year was different in that it was the first time we had a room to ourselves. Back in the cost-cutting days of childhood, we'd shared a room with two other mother/daughter combos. In later years, one of the girls moved on and it was just myself and my friend and our mothers. Last year, my friend found out at Ballarat that she was pregnant, so this year Mum and I had a room on our own. I was glad, as it was always going to be my last year, and it's awkward to tell someone that you just want to be alone, with your mum, to cry...

The comp was amazing. There are 9 of us retiring this year (out of the team of 17), and it was an emotionally charged day that was filled with tears both happy and sad, and a general appreciation of the sport which has given me so much and made me the person I am today. There were moments when I doubted my decision to give it up, but the endless hours of practice, the pain (I'm old, and have put a lot of strain on my poor knees being big all this time), the time... and the promise of a new life - marriage, babies - really drove it home that this is the time to do it. I drank in EVERY minute on that beautiful stage, in that beautiful theatre, with those beautiful people. There were many tears, many smiles, and much hearty laughter. There was a teeny tiny bit of stress, though, because of a letter we received on Monday.

We got given 120 days notice to 'vacate' our house. It's not an eviction notice, and we've done nothing wrong, but come February 16th, 2014, we can no longer live in this house. 120 days is a really long time - until you factor in what is going on in our lives at that time. We're getting MARRIED ON NEW YEAR'S EVE. We're going on our honeymoon for an entire MONTH from mid January to mid February. So we have to be out before the honeymoon, before the wedding, before Christmas. So now. Yeah, now.

We inspected a property (thankfully managed by the same place that we are currently with) on Wednesday, filled in the application, and got approved on Friday afternoon. So this week, instead of enjoying my free time now that cali is over, I'm packing to move at some point in the next two weeks. The new place is 5 minutes drive from here, and we've worked out that we'll probably be able to move most of our stuff in small trips each night, with a couple of trips in the truck that Dave can get from work for the big items. We're signing the lease on Tuesday (and handing over all our savings - sad face) and should be able to get the keys before next weekend. We've then got to give 2 weeks notice here seeing as we won't be taking the full 120 days to vacate and then we've got that time to move and get this place professionally cleaned. Phew.

So, needless to say, the exercise and diet is going terribly. Not terribly, I still managed an almost 2 hour walk today and have eaten fairly well - but I'm not expecting miracles on the scale in the morning, or for the next few weeks at least. I have completed my shakesperiment (terrible, horrible, can't stick to it and should never have tried to) and re-committed to LnE.

That's my update... More insight will follow as I've just spent 2 weeks reading a blog that has inspired me and my thoughts in the last few days. Hopefully I'll be able to find an hour or so to write about it. Possibly during *shh* work time.

No comments:

Post a Comment