Friday 4 October 2013

This is what happens when you...

... don't do strength training for about six months, and then do, again.

I can hardly straighten or lift my arms from a lazy 30 reps of bicep curls and 30 reps of tricep extensions. Two days ago. OUCH!

The stupid thing is, I have a competition for Cali tomorrow night and I kinda need my arms for that. I've done a bit of self-massage tonight and will do the same in the morning to try and get rid of the lactic acid or whatever it is that is causing me pain. It's not an injury, just soreness, but boy I chose the wrong week to start upping the intensity. Six more weeks of cali and then I'm done for the year, so I'll tone it down (not cut it, just dial it back a smidge) until that's over.

In other news, I discovered yesterday that my gym has opened an outlet right near my work. My gym is one of those 24/7 keypass entry gyms where the key works at EVERY OUTLET IN THE WORLD. It's super convenient because it means that when we travel, we have no excuse not to exercise. It also means that I have access to a gym right near home, cali/mum & dads, and work. Wherever I am, if I have half an hour spare, I can get some steps or a good workout in.

I dropped in there this morning for a walk. The equipment is so very new there, it took me a little while to work out how to even turn the treadmill on!! Luckily it wasn't too busy between 7am and 8am, which is the time I will be regularly going - there is a great range of equipment in both the cardio and strength sections. It's definitely taking away my 'bad weather' excuse for morning training.

I haven't hit 12,000 steps on any day yet this month, but I have felt my whole attitude change. I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment