Saturday 21 January 2012

Conference Time!

This weekend, I'm at a conference for Calisthenic Coaches. Today and tomorrow, 9-5, all food provided. Scary thought. What will they feed me? Can I fit it into my calories for the day? Am I going to be too tired afterwards to go to the gym?

Thinking about the preseason task I just completed, about finding excuses but then finding reasons why they're bullsh*t, I sat down on Friday (yesterday) at work and wondered how to tackle this. The itinerary for the event stated that we would be getting two half hour tea breaks and an hour lunch break. I figured there would be some sort of biscuit/cake option for the tea breaks and probably sandwiches or similar for lunch. I am a biscuit and cake FIEND. If presented with a plate of 4 or 5 different bikkies, I'll want to try them all. I decided not to risk it and packed a muesli bar for morning tea and some rice cakes for arvo tea. Sorted. Lunch was a different story, so I decided to wait and see what was on offer and make a decision about Sunday if the option wasn't suitable.

I was so glad I bought the snacks, because there certainly was biscuits and cake for both morning and afternoon tea. Every biscuit imaginable - about 8 different varieties.... and then cake for afternoon tea - 4 different varieties. I ate my muesli bar and rice cakes and actually didn't feel like I'd missed out AT ALL. I was eating with everyone else, and best of all, no-one commented on the fact that I was eating my own food. I didn't want to draw attention to the fact that I'd prepared my own snacks, but I knew that not eating would draw more attention, so I did it.

Lunch was a range of sandwiches (I had chicken/lettuce/mayo) and some fruit (which I don't eat.... but that's a story for another blog). The other girls that I was with decided that tomorrow we'll go to Nando's for lunch instead because the food was quite tasteless and made with not-so-good choices (white bread, lots of mayo, light on the salad). I know that I can get a wholegrain wrap from Nando's, so I'll go with them rather than sit on my own - but I'll make sure I take my snacks so that my tea break choices are already made for me.

And the exercise thing? Well... tonight I'm buggered and frankly can't be bothered going to the gym. Luckily, last night (Friday night) I had anticipated this very scenario and slogged it out for 2 hours, burning 1000 calories, so that I didn't HAVE to go today. I will have to go tomorrow, but we got the heads up that things may finish earlier tomorrow and we'll be out of there by 3 pm so I'll put in another big session when I get home and all will be right with the world.

See.... life fits....Now I just have to remind myself that while every day won't be a textbook day, with a little forward planning, I can make the best choices I can for my health, and for my life.

Nighty Night!! Gotta get some sleep now...

No comments:

Post a Comment