Thursday 19 January 2012

Preseason Task #2 - No Excuses!

Preseason Task #2 was just released - I haven't watched the video yet, as it's 20 minutes long and I don't think I can get away with watching it without my boss seeing me!

I did, however, start the written part of the task - writing down all my excuses and then giving reasons why they aren't good excuses. Here's my list!

Internal Excuses:
I'm unfit
I'm fat
I really love *insert sugary, fatty food here*
I've worked hard, I can eat *insert sugary, fatty food here*
I'm tired
Solutions:
I am more fit than I was a year ago. I'm thinner than I was a year ago. Things are getting easier to do, so being fat or unfit will not stop me.
Yes, I've worked hard and I can have sugary, fatty food. But then all the hard work will be wasted.... I don't want to have to do it all AGAIN!! Also, I need to remember how I feel after eating out - full, tired, nauseous. And how I feel after eating something I used to eat all the time, but now eat much less of - jittery, unsatisfied, sick, regretful. Don't waste that hard work.
I am tired because I stay up late. It's my decision when I switch off the light.
External Excuses:
It's hot/cold/raining
I'm staying at boyfriend's house
Solutions:
The gym is a temperature controlled environment. It's open 24/7. There are no excuses.
The gym has locations near his house. I can use any Anytime IN THE WORLD. His area is also flat - I can walk. He likes to play WoW, and I just sit on the couch watching TV or reading - I'm not trapped there, I can do whatever I like while he's playing.

Michelle believes that there are three types of excuses - internal excuses, external excuses where you have control, and external excuses where you have no control. I haven't listed any external excuses where I have no control because my life isn't that complicated at the moment. Examples she gave of these were sick kids, work crisis, family crisis. I'll cross these bridges if I come to them, but the solutions for these may be to let the exercise/great food slide for a little bit until it's all sorted. I'd like to think I will make good food and exercise choices in these situations, but I know that sometimes it's simply impossible.

Looking at what I've written, I know that my internal excuses are much more of a roadblock for me. It's more about what my mind tells me I cannot do, versus what my body will actually do. There are always those little thoughts of self doubt, that fear of actually succeeding and then falling back into everything. Right now, I'm determined for that not to happen - I don't want to slip back into bad habits. I don't want to worry about what I'm eating for the rest of my life, but I also know that I'll not be able to eat whatever I want without consequences. This is going to be a lifelong battle, but I'm thinking of the first stage as a full-on assault, and then 'maintenance' like being in the Army Reserve. I'll still have to keep my body conditioned so that if it's called upon, it can fight. It won't be 24/7 every day in the forefront of my mind, like it is now, but it will always be in the back of my mind.

I want to enjoy my life, I don't want to be Debbie Downer and be afraid to go out in case the evil carb monster catches me. It's going to be hard, but it will be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment