Sunday 8 January 2012

That awkward first meeting...

This morning I set off for a training session with some people from the 12WBT program. We decided to meet at the base of a track (the 1000 stairs in Upper Ferntree Gully). Once I got there, I was scared to meet them all so I walked straight on past anyone at the base and headed up on my own. I posted on the facebook page that I was too scared to introduce myself, a description of what I was wearing, and for them to say hi if they saw me.

The track is a 1km uphill walk, followed by 1000 stairs cut into a the mountain. It is a tribute to the Kokoda track, and there are markers along the way telling you parts of the story, and marking where you are on the track. About 3/4 of the way up the stairs, I stopped (for the hundredth time!) and saw a smiling girl coming up behind me. She immediately said, through her huffing and puffing, 'hey! you're doing that 12 week thing, aren't you?'. We finished the stairs together, and had a great chat on the way back down. It was less awkward than I anticipated, although I'm still apprehensive about meeting the rest of the girls.

It was a good trek, and I came home and had steak and eggs for breakfast. YUM!!

No comments:

Post a Comment